The code has been modernized a lot since the last release. Most notably, namespaces have been added. So, you have to instantiate b8 e. g. like this now:
$b8 = new b8\b8(...);
To use the constants, please also add the namespace, e. g. b8\b8::HAM.
Due to the namespace introduction, the default degenerator and lexer can't be called default anymore. The name is now standard (e. g. b8\lexer\standard).
Storage backend approach change
The storage backends now leave the connection to a database to the user (where it belongs). The Berkeley DB (DBA) storage backend remains the reference one. The other remaining one shows how to store b8's wordlist in a MySQL table, more as an example how to implement a proper storage backend. The base storage class now has all needed functions added as abstract definitions, so that everybody can easily implement their needed backend. Also, some function names have been changed to more meaningful ones.
The DBA backend now simply wants to have a working DBA resource as the only parameter. So if you use this, you would do e. g.:
The (example) MySQL backend takes a mysqli object and a table name as config keys. Simply look at the backends themselves to see the changes.
If you implemented your own backend, you will have to update it. But this should be quite straightforward.
Please notice the newly added start_transaction() function. Actually, with MySQL's MyISAM engine that was the default back then, transactions didn't even exist (man, this project is actually quite old ;-)!
Additionally, the PostgreSQL backend and the original MySQL backend (using the long-deprecated mysql functions, not the mysqli ones) have been removed.
New default configuration
The default configuration of the lexer and the degenerator has also been changed.
The degenerator now uses multibyte operations by default. This needs PHP's mbstring module. If you don't have it, set multibyte to false in the config array.
Speaking of the lexer, the legacy HTML extractor has been removed, alongside with it's old_get_html config option.
Back from our vacation in the Bavarian Forest, I noticed that my long-serving and really reliable iBlue 747A+ GPS logger apparently stopped working: it delivered tracks with a date around year 2000. Investigating this further, I found that the time appeared to be okay, but the date was completely wrong.
Fortunately, the device isn't broken, it was just hit by the GPS Week Number Rollover, that took place on 2019-04-07. This really sucks! But blessedly, I can continue using the logger. One can fix the wrong date by adding 172,032 hours to the date (that is: 1024 weeks times 7 days times 24 hours).
This can be done via gpsbabel in the following way (assuming we have a GPX encoded GPS data file):
Hopefully, Europe's Galileo GNSS won't suffer from such shortcomings and my next "GPS" logger will use this one … and the good ole' one will continue working a few years until Galileo is finished, working and a lot of devices support it ;-)